1712 – Dam constructed

The dam was constructed at the north side of the lake by John Wadliegh, adding 3 feet to the maximum water level of the lake. The added water capacity was needed to maintain water flow in the Powow River during dry spells so that water-powered mills along the river in Amesbury could continue to operate. (Source: History of Essex County)