Lake Attitash Swimming Advisory
The Amesbury Health Department has been sampling Lake Attitash waters at the Lake Attitash beach for cyanobacteria levels. Cyanobacteria is also commonly knows as blue/green algae (algae bloom) and has been present in Lake Attitash for the past several years.
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health guidelines suggest that any sampling data which exceeds 70,000 cells/milliliters of water can cause skin and eye irritation, ingesting small amounts of water can cause gastrointestinal symptoms and ingesting large amounts of water can cause liver or neurological damage. Asthma like symptoms may be caused by inhaling water spray and small children and pets are more susceptible to the effects of toxins than adults.
Livestock and pet deaths from ingesting algae toxins have occurred.
The Amesbury Health Department advises that residents, visitors, and pets do not come in contact with or ingest water that has or appears to have an algae bloom.
THIS ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT UNTIL OTHERWISE POSTED THAT WATER IS SAFE BY THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT.
AMESBURY HEALTH DEPARTMENT
Leave a Comment